Friday, March 20, 2015

Happy Spring!


Today was the first day of Spring and the first meal we've eaten outside this season. I know many of my New England compatriots are still stuck under snow, but in Walla Walla we are ringing in Spring whole heartedly!

I began springtime doing something completely ridiculous. I first put my 8 month old in a tutu crafted by her grandmother. I then stuffed her into an Easter basket, placed that basket in my flower bed, crushing what was left of the crocuses, and took a bunch of pictures. My sister-in-law is a newborn photographer, and I'm nowhere near her caliber, but out of maybe 30 shots, I got one good enough to throw on a card to her grandparents. Mission, accomplished.

We then took a long walk to get bagels. I wish I brought the camera because Spring had sprung. Bulbs were blooming everywhere: crocuses, daffodils, tulips, hyacinths, cherry blossoms, and more whose names I don't know. I grew up in Florida, and there, I know the names of most flora you might encounter. In Walla Walla, I'm a newbie. I'm trying hard to learn the names of the flowers and trees here, but there are so many I didn't know in the south. All of the aforementioned bulbs, for instance. These are bulbs that have to freeze in the ground in order to bloom, so naturally, they don't live in tropical climates.

Finally, we welcomed Spring by having dinner al fresco. Walla Walla has one of the great old downtown Main Streets you might imagine in old films. Many of the restaurants have outdoor seating, and it's a joy to be able to sit there again, taking in the waning light while talking and laughing with friends.

After a long winter, stepping out and noticing everything that's come back to life is such a treat. I feel like I'm coming back to life, too.



5 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful slice of spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walla Walla -- that's where my parents got married during WWII -- my mother was from Spokane and my father from northern NYS but stationed in Walla Walla

    The flowers remind me of my grandmother's garden in Spokane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Walla Walla -- that's where my parents got married during WWII -- my mother was from Spokane and my father from northern NYS but stationed in Walla Walla

    The flowers remind me of my grandmother's garden in Spokane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your peeks at spring. (Easier for me to take in Beirut than for those still in the midst of winter, I'm sure!) BTW - We just decided to attend a conference in Walla Walla this summer. Check it out... http://edurolearning.com/events/wired-with-wine-walla-walla/

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty!! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete